Tuesday, July 29, 2014

There's another soul through the gate! :)

 Miguel Angel, with Hermano Ramirez and darling little Jonathan

We were taking things that other missionaries had left behind in our apartment to Goodwill... we ma have played a little dress-up with a kick back to the 80's sister missionary!
7/14/14

Hola Familia!!
Well. WHAT A WEEK. and I really mean it this time. So many prayers. So many fasts. But don't worry. He made it. :) Miguel Salamanca has officially taken upon him the name of Christ, and the promise to represent and obey him to the end. This whole week was just full of miracles. We met with him every day, and each time he had more and more light. He had one of the craziest and hardest weeks ever in work, but it only confirmed his decision. The service on Saturday was beautiful. I think it was what any missionary would hope for. We had so many members there that had truly taken him in and fellowshipped him. Hermano Ramirez was the one who baptized him, and they have become best friends. I don't know if I have mentioned much of his story.. so I guess it would be appropriate to say it now. Originally how we found it- well a few weeks before we had spoken with his mom and she said she would gladly receive us. But when we went back, he was out front and he shouted out "me buscan a mi?" (are you looking for me?).. He later told us that when he had seen us walking up the driveway he heard a voice say "te buscan a ti" (they are looking for you) because earlier he had been praying for a new start in his life. Ever since that first contact we have only seen progress. We met with him more than once a week, and in just a short month and a half he has become one of the most converted people I know. His entire countenance has changed. Even his prayers have changed. He truly knows who he is talking to, and has truly felt the power of him in his life. We are working to get him to do family history and to the temple next Saturday to do baptisms, because he had a dream about his cousin in spirit prision... I know. He is so. I don't even know what to say. But out of the whole experience, I feel like the sons of Mosiah- in THIS aspect- "And now behold, I have somewhat to say concerning the people of Ammon, who, in the beginning, were Lamanites; but by Ammon and his brethren, or rather by the power and word of God, they had been converted unto the Lord;" It really wasn't anything that Hermana Zabriskie or I did. As President Mortensen  says "80% is just showing up". But because of our efforts to be as obedient and diligent as possible, the Lord was able to work his miracles. I am so grateful for this opportunity to be an instrument in his hands.
We also were able to see so many other miracles this week! 3 more baptismal dates! The Lord is truly hastening his work in this area. The Mendez girls are doing so good. Leslie is getting super excited for baptism. I guess her grandparents were trying to tell her that she was too young and she should wait.. etc.. but she responded "grandma, I feel it in my heart that God wants me to do it now". The mouth of babes.. She is so ready and she is a huge catalyst for her whole family.
Life is just so good. We did exchanges again this week with the English sisters, and this time I stayed in the area. It was a bit of an adventure since she didn't know what was going on in the majority of the lessons, but in one of them, they asked that she said the closing prayer, in English-even though they don't understand. After the prayer, they just looked at me and commented on how strong the spirit was. It was just a reminder that it doesn't matter what the language is, the spirit really talks to the heart.
I hope that you have a wonderful week. I've been reading through the war chapters in Alma, and it is so cool to see the role that the Atonement plays in strengthening them, even in times of war, as long as we put our confidence in him.. Even when they were unable to get the extra government support that they wanted they said "But, behold, it mattereth not—we trust God will deliver us, notwithstanding the weakness of our armies, yea, and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies." Alma 58:37. It gave God the chance to show just how infinite his power is for those who continually put their trust in him. Replace fear with faith!
Los Quiero,
Hermana Draper
 

No comments:

Post a Comment