Friday, March 7, 2014

The RESULTS ARE IN... AND HERMANA DRAPER IS OUT... FAREWELL KATYLAND!

 The Mazas
 The Mazas thought the trick candles on the chocolate flan were "SO FUNNY"!
 With Hermana Cano and the birthday gift she gave me.
 The CUBANS.
The Velez family. Such a special family!
The 'Missionaries' sister! Jauna and Hermana Montiel and Ashley.

2/10/14
Hola Familia!
Well my dear friends... the title says it all. After four fantastic transfers it's time to say goodbye to Katy. Man, this mission thing is brutal! You come to know these amazing people and develop such a sincere love for them and then just like that, one phone call changes it all! Nevertheless... Lehi's family had to leave behind all their precious things and head out into the wilderness so that the Lord could lead them to the Promised Land. Therefore, I too must leave behind my dear Katy (but not the memories of course!) to lead me to a new spiritual promised land. It makes sense in my head… but I have truly loved my time here with the amazing ward, investigators, companions, and just the area in general. And this past week has been so incredible, and so here we go!
Well it started with my birthday... What better way to celebrate than to teach the word of wisdom? We had a nice appointment with a family we have been teaching for a while. They are a fan of the parties, but they committed to try it out! Then... we had a fiesta. There is a family in our ward who we have been trying to work with a lot. Their biggest struggle is that they can't come to church because they both work all the time! But, when they heard that it was my birthday they decided to throw a party… and invite other ward members and investigators! It was so fun. We of course started with a spiritual message, and then transitioned into the piñata... chocolate flan... and hotdogs mixtas (seriously... they are so delicious- hotdog, guacamole, cabbage, jalapeno, mayo, ketchup- try it... you'll love it). It was so fun!
Well. Then we continued on into the week and in the work of the Lord! On Tuesday we found two new investigators while knocking!! (I wish I could express to you how big of a deal that is). One of the ladies was especially incredible. She welcomed us right in and we explained our purpose and just a bit about our message. We were a bit distracted because her one year old was rolling around in a bike chair the whole time, but she ended up opening up to us a bit about her story. She has two sons, twenty one and one. She shared how after her first she had grown into a very extravagant life style, and maybe not the most focused on God. Then her one year old came along who had to start chemotherapy at just four months old. She just testified how the Lord has provided a way for her to have her eyes opened to a whole new world, and to truly humble herself and be grateful for all that He has given her. When we went back and taught her a second time at the very end of the lesson she shared that she had visited Salt Lake a while back and was really impacted by Temple Square, but she didn't understand what it was. She is very excited to continue learning and committed to be baptized once she knows it true. I know that the Lord has a perfect path for each one of His children. Sometimes it’s not the path most desired, but it is definitely the path most effective, and then He guides us to them! I can't wait to hear from Hermana Townsend how she continues progressing.
We also have had some awesome lessons with the missionaries sister!! On Friday we had a meal appointment with the member who has been fellowshipping her, and so she decided to invite her as well! After eating some delicious taquitos we started into a simple message about the importance of prophets. After talking for a moment and asking Juana about Joseph Smith, she opened up and said that she has been reading a lot about the church online... ay... well fortunately it isn't anything anti-Mormon! But she has been studying a lot about the history of the beginnings of the church in the last days. She was especially impressed by the stories of the pioneers (those are my people!), but she shared one doubt with us that really threw her off. Polygamy. Well, uncoincidentally, just a few weeks before that same member had shared the same doubt with us, and we might not have responded in the best way… so here was God giving us our second chance! Rather than trying to justify anything we just testified that we don't understand all things. We don't know why God commanded them to do that. But because we have read the Book of Mormon, and prayed to know if Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, I know that all things were done under the hand of God. Then maybe one day we will understand why. But as for now, it doesn't really matter. That was their trial of faith, and we have got different ones to face. It was really great because it gave the member a chance to testify that she did know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet, and she wasn't going to let a little doubt destroy her testimony. Just as President Holland said, "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith".
Yesterday was an especially special day at church as well. For the four transfers that I have been in Westgreen, my dear Manuelita had not gone to church. Then yesterday she invited us for lunch before church, and then we all went together. I sat next to her in sacrament meeting, and I wish I could explain the joy watching her take the sacrament. Also yesterday, Anita who we have been working a lot with to reactivate had her temple recommend interview, and now she is just waiting for her interview with the stake!! I wish I could explain my love for that woman. She is the one who made me a flan for my birthday. She was baptized a few years back with her husband, but then he passed away and she moved in with her kids and lost contact with the church. When I first met her she had no desire to read the Book of Mormon or go to church, and to compare that to her yesterday was amazing. She is in 2 Nephi right now in her reading and going to receive her endowment!! Wow. Every soul is so precious in the eyes of God.
Well, I have got a lot of packing to do so I better go, but I just wish I could express how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to serve in this area. Not to be cliché, but I can say that the people here have truly changed me. I have every intention of staying in contact by mail with them as time permits, but I am happy to know I am leaving them in good hands with Hermana Townsend! Wow. Missions.
Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week! I love you so much! Remember to replace fear with faith, and say ten things you are grateful for!
les quiero,
Hermana Draper



  • ....psych!!‏
2/10/14
Well... transfer calls are in... again...
We just got a call from President Pingree and he said that all day he has felt impressed that pulling me out of this area was the wrong decision. So therefore... I AM STAYING IN KATY!! Wow. Emotional roller coaster. But President just said that he felt like I needed to stay here so let’s see what this next transfer brings! The Lord's got work for us to do! Everything happens for a reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment