Tuesday, December 10, 2013

feliz dia de acciones de gracias!!


 Our "Thankful Turkey"... just like home!!


11/25/13
Pues pues pues.. donde empezamos??
How are you all? How has your week been? This week has been crazy, and so full of miracles from the Lord. So after Hermana Townsend got all packed up to move up to the North Westgreen apartment, we ended up having a council and changing the areas... So that, mom, is why I now have a different address! I am still in Katy, we just live in the South Westgreen apartments. Also with that, I am now covering a completely new area, and my companion has only been here one transfer, so it has been quite the adventure getting around. We have spent a lot of time trying to make some new friends that we can teach, which has lead to maaany interesting learning experiences. I love knocking doors. And I don't say that sarcastically. I think it is the most fun adventure, because you never know what you are going to find! As long as they don't slam the door immediately, you can at least share a basic truth of the restored gospel with them. If they choose to close the door after that, at least a seed was planted! Down in the south area, it is predominately American, compared to the extremely cultured north area, but it doesn't matter the language, everyone is still super religious. We have found a lot who are quite "informed" about our beliefs, but it is interesting that the more they try to convince us we are wrong, the firmer I feel that this is the truth. No matter how many people try to deny the Book of Mormon as the word of God, when I have the chance to testify that I know it is true, it is just another manifestation that God loves us so much. And really, what do people have against receiving more of God's words? Anyway. Along with being in the new area, I have finally had the chance to really meet some of the families that I have heard so much about from the other hermanas! For example, last night we had a lesson with one of the most incredible families! So they were a referral from the Oakcrest hermanas, who received them as a referral from a member. This was our third lesson with them, and we taught the Plan of Salvation. It was such an interesting lesson. The family is from Cuba and they have only been here for a few months, and coincidentally (...not) a member of the church was the first person to really take them under his wing. Well the hermana explained that they were baptized as babies, but then in Cuba since it was part of the Soviet, all growing up in school they taught that there wasn't a God. She always thought that maybe there was someone up there, but she had never really believed in her heart. She told us last night that just from the few times that she has met with the missionaries, she finally feels convinced and assured that there really is a loving Heavenly Father that is aware of her. Wow. Then as we kept talking about the plan, she had lots of questions regarding life after death. For every question, there was a perfect scripture from the Book of Mormon to answer it. She started crying as we explained the degrees of glory. She said her uncle was the most loving and incredible person ever, but he lived his whole life super atheist. She felt comforted that he still has the chance to accept God after this life, but even if he doesn't, he won’t be sent into tinieblas. He will still be in a state of peace. Well I could go on and on and talk about the lesson because they really are amazing but there are so many people that are looking for these answers, and we have them! What a privilege it is to share it! Oh, and did I mention that they are reading the Book of Mormon as a family and already are in 2 Nefi! 
Oh man. I have casi nada mas de tiempo. Well, real fast. We are also teaching the wife of the Elders Quorum President. She has gone to church with him ever since he was baptized down in Guatamala, and received the charlas a ton of times. Well, this last week she said that she finally feels like in her heart it is time to take the step and she set her own baptismal date!! Her daughter is driving home from college on the 14th, and so her baptism is set for the 15th! She said she is so excited because she feels like this time it really is all her own decision, and that no one else has influenced it. I love teaching part member families, because as President Pingree says, we are completing families! 
Oh, and even though we changed areas, we are still going to keep teaching a few of the families that Hermana Tanner and I were teaching. So we visited one last week, that is 15 years old, and as a I said last week, and since his parents work until nine or ten every day, he is teaching them. Well, we talked about baptism with him and he said that he really knows it is right, but since he is a minor, he has to have his parents permission. So we did a role play with him to bring it up to his mom. At first I said I would pretend to be his mom. He said "so uh mom... can I get baptized again?” Hmm... Okay. Let's try to rephrase that. We talked it through a bit then he said, "So mom. I've been meeting with the missionaries and I really feel that this is true. So can I be baptized into the Church of Jesus… um Saints... well, I don't know the name, but I know it is true!". Well, we practiced the name with him a few times, and I think he's got it now. :) So we are praying for him to have the right opportunity to bring it up.
Pues, no hay suficiente tiempo, but just know that there are so many miracles going on. I know that this is truly the work of God, and with humble and prayerful hearts, He can guide us to those honest seekers of truth.
With this week being Thanksgiving, I just want to say how incredibly thankful I am for all of you… Whomever it may be that is reading this letter. In some way or another you have helped me get to this point! I am so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that I haven't even begun to comprehend the Atonement, but I do know that it is the greatest manifestation of the love of Heavenly Father, and His son Jesus Christ, and I am so thankful for this knowledge. I am grateful for my family, my calling, for my companion, for President Pingree, for the Prophet, the mail system (even if it's a bit dusty ;)), all my friends serving around the world, for the blessed state of Texas, and sooo much more. Remember,"that ye live indthanksgiving daily, for the many emercies and blessings which He doth bestow upon you." (Alma 34:38). Replace fear with faith! 
les quiero demasiado,
Hermana Draper


With Hermana Tanner and Sister (Hermana) Romero. I love this lady! She has been assigned to the new ward so I will not see her... I will miss her!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment